The advanced introduction of technology has simplified the complications in every field. Laser eye surgeries have gained popularity because of their efficiency, reduced healing time, and fewer complications. With the developing technology, there has been the introduction of additional developments, one of which is the femtosecond laser.
What is Femtosecond laser cataract surgery?
Femtosecond laser cataract surgery is an advanced technique for cataract removal. A laser creates precise incisions and breaks the cloudy lens in this procedure. Then they are removed and replaced with an artificial lens.
What to expect pre- and post-surgery?
An examination will be carried out to determine the type and severity of the cataract. You may be asked to stop certain medications or avoid eating and drinking for some hours before the procedure. You will also be given instructions on preparing for the process.
After surgery, you may experience some discomforting symptoms for a few days. Such as mild pain, burning, itching, irritation, watering or tearing, hazy or blurred vision, sensitivity to light, halos or glare around lights, and redness or bloodshot eyes.
Completing the procedure takes around 30 minutes for each eye. The femto laser treatment for eye is performed as per the following steps:
- You'll be placed under the procedure room's laser system and a computer screen.
- Numbing drops are used to put in the eyes.
- An instrument called an 'eye speculum' is used to keep your eyelids open during the procedure.
- Later a suction ring is placed at the center over the pupil, and suction is applied.
- Then the laser is initiated which helps to create precise incisions and break your cataract into smaller pieces.
- This completes the first phase of the surgery.
- Once the laser part is over, the surgeon takes you to the other Operating Room and continues to remove the broken cataract pieces with the help of an ultrasonic phacoemulsification handpiece.
- Once your cataract is removed, the surgeon then implants an artificial intraocular lens in your eye.
After surgery, the doctor will provide you with the follow-up care and recovery instructions:
- You will be asked to wear an eye shield at night for the first 24 to 48 hours after the procedure to prevent rubbing or scratching the eye.
- You may have an appointment after 24 to 48 hours to check your healing and your vision.
- You will be given eye drops to carry home to prevent your eye from infection or inflammation.
- You'll be advised to limit activities that require great effort for at least 2-3 days.
- After surgery, you'll feel the fluctuation in the vision for the first few months. It can take 3-6 months to create the full effect of the surgery.
- A surgeon should schedule regular follow-up visits for at least six months after the surgery.
Benefits of femtosecond laser cataract surgery
- The laser allows excellent precision and accuracy, improving visual outcomes.
- Tailored procedures for the patients according to their specific needs
- Reduced risk and complications
- Faster recovery after surgery
Femtosecond laser cataract surgery can be a good option if you are considering cataract surgery. It is a safe and effective procedure with a short recovery time. It provides improved visual outcomes compared to traditional cataract surgery.
If you are searching for the best ophthalmologist in Mumbai, then 'The Vission Eye Centre' is what you are looking for. Being one of the best eye surgeons in Mumbai, we offer various laser eye treatments by maintaining the highest standards of patient care. Reach us today to learn more about this advanced procedure and know whether they are right for you.